Monday, May 3, 2010

Extra Blog #1

My extra blog has to do with one of the things i overheard when i was in the my little group at my school. I was teaching the children like it was any other day and they were doing their work very well. All of a sudden the children started to talk amongst themselves because they were done with their work. They talked about the environment that they were all living in. It was awful to hear how they were speaking and saying how there is a shooting in near their home basically every week and that they were scared to leave their houses and even walk home after school. This relates to the Johnson article because its an environmental issue in which the children are used to the environment that they all live in. I don't believe any child should have to go through something like that. I was just listening carefully and trying to understand just how hard that must be to deal with. I lived in a middle class area my whole life, so to hear about things like that to me is just completely mind boggling. The fact that there was a liquor store on the same street as the school as i was coming to my school for the first time just blew my mind. Things such as that just dont set up the right learning environment for a student. It is just another things for these children to deal with in their lives they shouldn't have to worry about getting home safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment